Monday, December 7, 2009

Is It Destiny or Coincidence?



Stuff has such a weird way of happening, doesn't it?   Like how is it that we can be half way around the world and run into a neighbor, or a family member of one of our friends who lives in another distant city.  Both of these things have happened to me, and countless other friends.   Just ask around.  You'll see that this is a very common happening.

But I also wonder how many times we are somewhere, like the supermarket, that there are several people we know there at the same time, perhaps ambling down different aisles, that we just don't see....or don't see because we have "blinders on", right?  Are you one of those people who keeps an eye open for everything going on around you, like Matt Damon in Bourne Ultimatim (if you recall he is sitting at a diner and, without looking around, is able to recount what kind of cars and dudes are in the parking lot, who is packing which weapon, etc.)?  Or are you like me, focused on the moment and completely unaware that your favorite Aunt Emma or Celebrity "XYZ" just walked by within 10 feet of you?

Today was especially weird.  I was driving back from the gym on Whitsett Ave. about to call an industry friend when I heard "tink, tink, tink, tink" from the back right of my car.  I thought "Gee, is the trunk open and slapping shut, or did I leave a belt buckle hanging out of the car?" and immediately pulled into the first open driveway to check.  A woman walks towards my car from the business there and, as I get out of the car to check, says "Is that a nail in your tire?".  "Damn" I thought, as I saw the biggest screw (complete with a washer) sticking out of my back tire, "that's the 3rd time in less than 3 months that I have had to get a tire patched!"  Why me??

The coincidence part is that the driveway I drove into belongs to an auto repair (Purrfect Auto....no I don't get paid for the plug - no pun intended.....maybe...) so they were able to fix my tire right away and for $10 had me back on the road within 10 minutes!   When does THAT happen?  I actually made several jokes to the mechanics that it was a smart business decision for them to have put screws and nails a block down the road on the way to their shop!  :)   I even offered to go ahead and put back my screw on the road to help them bring in more business.  They laughed and joked with me about it.

And since we're on the subject, how many times have you ran out of gas while driving into the gas station, or almost into the station?   Me?  3 times I think.  You feel soooo lucky, don't you??  Now, is that destiny or coincidence?  Or maybe bad planning for not getting gas sooner, and then heading to the station just in the nick of time.  Living on the edge, I think they call it.

Personally I think this stuff is primed to happen all the time, we're just not aware or open to seeing it.  So people, OPEN UP YOUR EYES AND MINDS, and let the good, lucky, coincidental destinies benefit you.  You can call it destiny if you must, but I'll see you at the supermarket!